Friday, January 13, 2012

Weight, Teeth, and Ears...

Yesterday I got some awesome news, since the end of August I have been going to a weight loss clinic and have lost 66 lbs.  The doctor said that he was so pleased with my progress that he's putting me on a PRN status and leaving it up to me on how I want to use the clinic in the future!  That was a great feeling.  Now I just need to stick with the exercise and remembering that food is not my enemy and I should be fine!  ;-)  Anyway, for the last couple of days this week I have been setting my alarm for 5:15 a.m. and getting up and exercising first thing just to get it out of the way.  BOY, have I been tired from that!!

Anyway, I went to bed about 9:30 last night and woke up to a crying Peyton at 11:30 p.m.  Remember that the dentist told me on Monday he has two top teeth coming in that haven't broken through the gums just yet.  So after giving him about 15 minutes to see if he was going to fall back asleep, I went to check on him.  He was sitting there in the crib waiting for me.  LOL.  So I changed his diaper, gave him some ibuprofen, and rocked him in the glider for a while.  After about 30 minutes I thought to myself, "I can't do this all night."  So I put little mister back in the crib and went back to bed.  Would you believe that he cried until 2:30 a.m.?  I was so torn on what to do...  do I get him and just put him in bed with me?  But every time we have done that in the past, he just perks right up and wants to move around more and more to check everything out.  I kept thinking about what our Pediatrician said about "self-soothing" and so I just let him cry it out but it broke my heart and I was up the whole time!  This is by far the longest time it has ever taken him since he was 3 months old to go back to sleep in the night.  What do others do in this situation?  Do you just put them in bed with you?  Do you let them self-sooth?  Anxious to hear your thoughts!

Morning came way to soon and when my alarm went off at 5:15 a.m. I quickly reset it for 6:30 and went back to bed!  Finally at 6:45 I got up, showered and came upstairs to get the boys up.  Jackson gets up to an alarm so when I came out of Peyton's room he was already in the bathroom and announced to me that his ear hurt.  When I tried to look in it he yelled in pain and my heart sunk thinking that it was an ear infection!  So after 8 a.m. when the doctor's office opened I called and they actually had an appointment with our normal doctor available... at 8:30 a.m.!  YIKES!  So we quickly got dressed, diaper bag packed, and FLEW all the way West Des Moines and got there at 8:33!  LOL.  The doctor confirmed that Jackson did have an ear infection!  Poor baby!  So he's on some oral drugs and ear drops and should be better early next week! 

The doctor said that Jackson was fine to go to school if he wanted, and he did, so we went from the clinic right to school.  It was really cute when I opened the door to his classroom and all of his friends saw Jackson they cheered.  Is my kid the life of the party??  At the end of the day, I had (for the third day in a row) a good report that Jackson had no check marks and ate all of his lunch!  Chores, taking toys away, and no cartoons really did the trick (for now at least)!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Peyton! I know letting your kid cry it out can really suck, but I'm a firm believe in it. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do. And kudos to you for sticking it out. I think that bringing kids to bed with you just creates problems. I hope he is sleeping better now and I hope Jackson is feeling much better as well!